Category Archives: Film
Video of the Week #306: A Quick Look at a Lot of Masks
Creative Juice #239
Things that are pretty. Things that are funny. Things that took work.
- When we lived in New Jersey, sometimes I took the bus to New York City to visit the Frick Museum. It’s so nice to be able to visit virtually.
- This poem was written for NaPoWriMo. The prompt was “an interesting character’s to-do list.”
- This organized quilter puts me to shame.
- Oh, my. This lady has a wonderful wardrobe.
- Do you want more followers on Twitter?
- A DIY video gone wrong.
- The Boyce Thompson Arboretum is having an online art auction! Gorgeous art for a worthy cause. Bidding ends May 1.
- A man captured an erupting volcano and the northern lights in a single photograph. Read what he had to do to get his once-in-a-lifetime shot.
- Athletes in amazing split-screen video.
- A quick walk through the New York Botanical Garden.
- Do you remember the traditional children’s song, “Over in the Meadow?” Here’s a new picture book that you can read or sing to your little ones. And there’s a giveaway.
- Gorgeous nature photos.
Creative Juice #230
Twelve tantalizing articles to spark your imagination this weekend.
- Start tangling in your journal.
- You deserve a treat. Check out these animated shorts. Especially the first one.
- For the math nerds.
- A quilt story.
- For the novelists: your first (or second, or third) draft is done, but it’s not what you know it could be. Try these writing exercises to improve your story.
- Black-owned bookstores in 33 states.
- This looks like fun: a virtual poetry reading via Zoom.
- Interesting pictures.
- Small-scale nature embroideries embellished with beads.
- The secret life of trees.
- I had to look up “confabulation.” Apparently, it’s a big problem in our society.
- When conditions are perfect, this waterfall is on fire.
Video of the Week #257: Archival Footage of New York City circa 1911
I love the ladies’ fashions! Oh, the hats!
Video of the Week: If You Like Animation, Animals, or Opera, You Will Love This!
Maestro from Bloom Pictures on Vimeo.
For more about this short film, click here.
Guest Post: Tiny Tearjerker by Donna of MyOBT
Thank you, Donna. Yes, this did bring me to tears.
UK filmmaker/producer Phil Beastall wanted to create a short film showing the true spirit of Christmas without all the commercialism and the “corporate voices.” So he wrote and produced this lovely, simple short film, Love is a Gift.
Although the video only cost Beastall $64 to make, it has been receiving awards and rave reviews since it was first released in 2014. As one review I read said, it “has garnered a more emotional response than most major blockbusters.” When you watch this little gem, it will be immediately apparent why it’s touched so many people.
To view the video, click here.
Creative Juice #152
Nudge your creativity into action with these wonderful ideas:
- Laser-cut sculptures.
- I love to read about an artist’s journey.
- Want to be smarter? Do these 24 things every day.
- Masterful embroidery on tulle.
- What happens when a squirrel gets his paws on a GoPro?
- Beautiful art quilts.
- I always like to know what book clubs are reading. These books all sound wonderful!
- Make sketching an everyday habit.
- Want your children to find their own solutions to their problems?
- Amazing street art.
- I love checking out the responses to Zentangle challenges. These are so gorgeous.
- This is from a few years ago, but still impressive: County Fair quilts.
Video of the Week #206: Kaleidoscopic
Video of the Week #203: Desert Monsoon
We had some pretty spectacular storms in Arizona last summer. Thank you to Mike Olbinski for capturing nature’s fury.