Fourteen servings of beauty and creativity:
- Animated photos.
- These houses are for the birds.
- Beautiful quilts by Diana McClun.
- Two-dimensional reclaimed wood portraits.
- An interesting glimpse at Da Vinci’s genius, and two more books I want to read.
- A sculptor talks about the Period Room at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Oliver Sacks said imitation and mastery of form precede creativity.
- Embroidery beyond the hoop.
- Nonfiction reading list.
- Illustrators celebrate Christmas.
- This Christmasy blog post is just so pretty I had to share it.
- A quick trip around the world in photographs.
- Some lovely menorahs.
- An artist’s (slightly twisted) process for writing a Christmas book.
Just in time for the weekend—thirteen articles to tickle your creative impulses:
- Jersey City has amazing street art.
- For the cat lovers.
- Another use for a book.
- Are you on Instagram? Then you can see this video animation made from tattoos.
- Ask Paul Gaugin what happened the night Vincent van Gogh cut off his ear.
- How to make something happen.
- A different kind of shadow art.
- Spiff up your wheelchair.
- Beautiful quilts from the Springville, UT show.
- Summer camp in watercolor here and here.
- Award-winning bird photographs.
- Cubist houses?
Thirteen things to tweak your creative bones.
- The art of Bo Bartlett. It makes me long for the beach.
- Get smarter. (I think doing even 5 or 10 of these things would help.)
- Writing tools.
- Life-saving reading list.
- Don’t you hate pressboard? Yet this is beautiful.
- The power of story. Interview with the author of The Shack.
- Gorgeous quilts from the Killer Bees quilt show.
- The versatility of black and white photography.
- I am not promoting the book in this trailer (though it might be very good); I just think the idea of analyzing habits you want to break is intriguing:
Sixteen juicy articles to tickle your creativity bone:
- Just looking at these snowy illustrations makes me cold.
- Whatever your art form, what will it say about you to a future generation, or the present one?
- A reading list for quilters who like to make scrap quilts.
- Combining nature with 3D printing.
- Why you want me to move next door to you.
- Don’t you wish you could take a peek inside Frida Kahlo’s house?
- Street art.
- Gorgeous embroidery.
- Are you writing a story that needs more tension? Have your characters fight dirty.
- Why creative cross-training is important for writers, artists, and musicians.
- Why laughter is important for your health.
- Oooo…I want to do this quilt-along.
- Teeny tiny creatures.
- The director of Incredibles, Iron Giant, and Ratatouille talks about animation.
- You could take these photographs if you had a good eye and your camera ready.
- Portraits made from flowers and leaves.