Tag Archives: Diva Challenge

#DC360: Shattuck vs. Tripoli

Standard
#DC360: Shattuck vs. Tripoli

My offering for this week’s Diva Challenge using the two patterns Shattuck and Tripoli. I have an in-progress photo, because I’m participating in The 100 Day Project by tangling for 15 minutes every day (okay, some days) with the Zentangle All Around Facebook group.

IMG_0335

IMG_0336

#DC359: String Theory/ Finger Stringer

Standard

This week’s Diva Challenge is to trace your fingers (see my peace sign/V for victory?) and use the outline to create a string to tangle around. I used the patterns Maelstrom, Tofube, and Paradox.

IMG_0329

And because the Zentangle All Around Group is tangling for 15 minutes a day during The 100 Day Project, I have a few in-progress pictures.

#DC357: Paradox

Standard

This week’s Diva Challenge had me practicing for a few days:

IMG_0312

I wondered why paradox is often done in triangular shapes. I’ve had success with using it in a square. Why not other shapes? Pentagons, hexagons, octogons, irregular shapes?

Here’s what I found out (at least in my limited experience):

  • Paradox, made from narrow wedges, looks best when the lines are straight and the points end up where they’re supposed to. Here is where being mindful comes in. Whenever my mind wandered, I was likely to make a skinny rectangle rather than a wedge.
  • I took Laura’s suggestion and turned my tile after every stroke so that I was pulling the pen toward me for better control. I focused on where the vanishing point should be.
  • The larger the shape you’re filling in with paradox, the harder it is to make your lines straight.
  • Paradox also looks better if you can keep the wide part of your wedge consistent.
  • I always make mistakes and think they’re fatal. If I continued to fill in the area instead of quitting, I could barely notice the mess-ups when I was done.

I don’t know how other people plan their monotangles (share in the comments, below, please). At first, I thought I’d just make one large shape:

IMG_0313

But that was really too simple. And, because it was large enough to fill the whole tile, my lines were kind of wobbly.

Next, I thought I’d make three shapes. And then I realized I could fill in areas between them and around them. Here’s what I ended up with:

IMG_0315

I started out with a square in the lower right corner, a pentagon above that, and a hexagon on the left (you can see its swirling voretx). When I filled in around them, the original shapes disappeared, and I was left with chaos!

 

#DC356: What’s in a Name?

Standard

This week’s Diva Challenge is to create a tangle around your name. I used my initials. Patterns: Blossom #04, Fescu, Cadent, Ennies, Printemps, Paradox, and Bumpety Bump.

IMG_0308

I also used a watercolor pen for the first time. Fun!

#DC353 Heart Quarter Mandala

Standard

This week’s Diva Challenge was to make a make a zendala using a heart string. To be honest, I can’t see the heart in Laura’s example. (I’m sure that’s my problem, not hers.)

I chose to make a quarter mandala rather than a full one. Can you see my heart string? (I’m not talking about the quarter-circle line of little hearts.) Patterns used are Joust, Cirque, Lupe, and Locomotile. (A shout-out to Alice Hendon of the Zentangle All Around group on Facebook, who challenged us to try these patterns this week.)

IMG_0298

#DC352 Heart Within a Heart

Standard

My offering for this week’s Diva Challenge: the prompt is to tangle nested hearts. I also wanted to explore the possibility of a heart-shaped mandala. What I learned: the severe corners and points of a heart can cause crazy distortion. Patterns used: Nipa (variation), Flux, Dutch hourglass, Quipple.

IMG_0293

#DC351 Happy Valentine’s Day!

Standard

For this week’s Diva Challenge. “Heart of a Champion” is supposed to draw on the Olympics for inspiration, but I got distracted by the idea of Celtic hearts and decided to experiment with them. Patterns used are Shattuck, Static, Trio, and Tulipe.

IMG_0280

#DC350 Rimana Heart String

Standard

For this week’s Diva Challenge:

IMG_0277

Recent Zentangles

Standard

Here are my most recent tangles:

Below, several variations of the pattern Chainlea.

IMG_0253

Sonnenband reminds me of an Art Deco design:

sonnenband

Torus:

IMG_0258

Below: Mak-rah-may. I turned this into an anniversary card for my hubby. We’ve been married 44 years.

IMG_0262

For Diva Challenge #346. Phicops and Huggins:

IMG_0259

Demi:

IMG_0260

A string made by tracing found objects:

IMG_0263

And the string tangled:

IMG_0265

#DC347 Zentangle Challenge: Found Object String

Standard

This week’s Diva Challenge was to trace around found objects to make a “string”:

IMG_0263

And then fill in the sections with Zentangle patterns of your choice:

IMG_0265

I used Quipple, Flux, B-horn, Sanibelle, Paradox, Shattuck, and Printemps.