Funny stuff. Pretty stuff. Serious stuff.
- Some of these will make you laugh and some will make you cry, but it’s all good.
- Writers, should you write a cozy mystery?
- Did you ever have a great idea, get started on it, take a break from it, and feel guilty about never getting back to it? Sometimes you just gotta let go.
- Nathalie escorts us on a tour featuring murals in Jersey City.
- More murals; these are from Montreal. (FYI, Norm no longer coordinates Thursday Doors. Go to No Facilities for those now.)
- How to say no. Why to say no.
- Love flowers? You’re gonna love these photos.
- Black artists (and artists of color) lack the opportunities their white counterparts enjoy.
- You might enjoy this Instagrammer’s paintings for World Watercolor Month.
- You have to see these amazing crochet projects. (I’ll pass on the broccoli hat, but I want almost everything else.)
- The most beautiful gifs I’ve ever seen. Depending on your internet connection, they might take a few moments to load, but hang on, they’re worth it.
- A sculptor abandons metal in favor of fabric.
So much here to tickle your fancy—and your curiosity.
Beautiful things to look at, and ideas that will help you boost your own creativity.
- Sculptures made from discarded metal.
- Murals that incorporate their surroundings.
- A clue may shed light on Vincent Van Gogh’s last days.
- The hundred best books of the last twenty years. I’ve read maybe ten of these; they were all good except for one which I can’t remember. One more is in my TBR pile. Most of these I’ve never even heard of.
- I love this artist’s Instagram page.
- Rebellious nuns.
- Are you living the dream? Why not?
- A little city of zentangled architecture.
- Free summer-themed quilt patterns.
- Wonderful photos of scenes in Saigon—and each one includes at least one motorbike.
- I have long loved Grant Snider’s Incidental Comics. This article explains his process for a recent book cover he illustrated.
- Admit it—you’ve been thinking about starting your own podcast. How hard is it, really? Read this article to find out.
Beautiful stuff to look at:
- Zenbutton technique.
- Awesome murals.
- Drawing ideas for kids of any age.
- Dads at their daughters’ weddings.
- The hardest part of writing. Yep.
- Have you always wanted to paint a mural in downtown Phoenix? Here’s your chance.
- It’s never too late to learn to paint.
- Things to see (from a distance) in Austin.
- My friend, artist Vesna Taneva-Miller, has one of the most eclectic Instagram pages I’ve ever seen.
- Who says you have to use a pen or pencil to draw?
- A reading list of classics by Black authors.
- Go to Egypt and tour Ramesses VI’s tomb—virtually.
This week’s offering is heavy on reading lists. You’re welcome.
Amusing. Beautiful. Interesting.
Pretty things and creepy things. Great ideas and sad thoughts.
- Gorgeous creepy crawlers.
- A different kind of book nook. I didn’t know these were a thing.
- Do you have lots of scraps in your fabric stash? Here are some ideas of what to do with them.
- Photography on grass.
- Suicide’s painful legacy. Don’t do it. Ask for help.
- Amazing underwater photography.
- This Vile painter will make you see through walls.
- If your favorite cartoon characters were fossils. . .
- A gorgeous travel-sketch-journal to inspire you.
- I’m sharing this post about the Road to California quilt show especially because it features a quilt made by the fabulous Cindy Stohn.
- Read these 25 excellent suggestions for improving your life and be encouraged.
- Nathalie goes to Austin. (I have a friend who lives there. Now that I know how cool it is, I’ll have to go visit her. . .)