You know when you think your kid is perfectly capable of using the toilet, but he’s still having accidents, and you think he’s doing it on purpose or out of laziness?
Back 30+ years ago when I was going through this with my kids, my friend Vivian had the perfect cure.
Now, back in my day, we didn’t have pull-ups, but we had “training pants,” thick underwear, sometimes terrycloth, that theoretically would absorb liquid. But they leaked.
Vivian’s answer was REAL underpants. Nice ones. In fact, she believed in it so confidently that she took my middle daughter shopping and treated her to several gorgeous pairs. She never ever wet them.
It worked so well that after we moved to Arizona and Vivian came out to visit, I asked her to take my younger son shopping for some. She enthusiastically complied, and he came home with cool Underoos, which also never got wet.
This memory just came back to me, and I’m sharing it because some other mother might be facing this transition in her life. I think part of the magic of this solution is that it was administered by a beloved family friend rather than Mom. For what it’s worth, take it or leave it; but it might help.
Lots of artsy stuff today.
4, 6, and 7 are especially beneficial for the new year.
- I’ve read a bunch of these memoirs and found a few to add to my TBR pile.
- Natural fashion.
- For all the writers. Especially the freelancers. Do you deserve a reward today?
- How to be a good father.
- I love The Frugal Crafter! Here’s an upcycling project she recently posted. I love the video as well as the instructions.
- Ways to put failures and setbacks into perspective. (Warning: the F-word is used liberally in this article.)
- Using the Da Vinci Schedule to increase your productivity and prevent burnout.
- I think my next quilt project for myself should be a red-and-white Christmas quilt. Some of these done up in Christmas fabrics would work very nicely.
- I’d love to see the tools this artist used to cut this lacy octopus.
- Why art matters.
- I find this sculpture particularly moving.
- Your creativity requires structure.
Beautiful, unusual, entertaining, fun, and creative:
Your weekly fix of artistic inspiration.
- House block quilts.
- Palm paintings.
- Advice about creativity.
- A closer look at Gustav Klimt’s painting, The Kiss.
- How to get really good at something.
- I am such a terrible mother. I never even thought of doing this. My girls are now in their twenties and thirties. Maybe when (if) I have granddaughters…
- Photos of Jersey City and Manhattan. (As a former Jersey girl, I get a little homesick when I see scenes like these.)
- Do you have too many books? Maybe not.
- Amazing footage captured on a security camera and the science behind it.
- Art with an expiration date.
- How an engineering student became a children’s book illustrator.
- What do you see in the clouds?