A lot of beauty in today’s articles, curated especially for you.
- Do you like Irish step dancing?
- If you read my post about the Sirens, you know I love to sleep.
- Georgia O’Keeffe on the art of seeing. And lots of links, if you enjoy going down rabbit holes.
- I may have included these father of the bride photos in a previous edition of Creative Juice. You know what? They’re so beautiful, you should see them again.
- Beautiful fruit photography.
- Read your children some books about kindness and talk about how to make a difference in the lives of the people around you.
- I’d never heard of Sonny Curtis, even though I’m familiar with two of his most famous songs; but I love his daughter’s essay about him.
- Would you believe there are 800 pairs of herons living in Amsterdam? Maybe because of the canals. . .
- Ingenious and useful creations from toilet paper rolls.
- A mom’s June sketchbook pages.
- I love this Instagrammer’s ICAD cards.
- How a quilter pieced a 60-piece block perfectly!
These articles will challenge your intellect while satisfying your need for beauty.
- The Harlem Renaissance.
- Don’t you just hate it when the block you’re piecing turns out too small?
- Beautiful Zentangle designs.
- I love acapella singing. This group gives me goosebumps, they’re so good.
- I’ve never heard of the Chinese Lantern Festival, but I was delighted to come across these beautiful photographs of it.
- Informative article on sketchbook hacks.
- Sweet little embroidered Psalm 23 book.
- A different way to live during the pandemic.
- Split-second photography.
- An early history of pen-and-ink drawing.
- Some disturbing photographs.
- Gorgeous quilts in fall colors.
It’s the beginning of a new era. Hallelujah!
- I love reading quilters’ thoughts as they design their quilts.
- A dad who sews. Oh, won’t you be my daddy?
- Some beautiful Zentangle projects.
- Amazing photography of waves.
- For the writers: how to combat resistance.
- More for the writers: Top 100 Writers’ Websites. Some of these I’ve never heard of. Must. Check. Out.
- President Biden’s Inaugural Address.
- Poems by the Inaugural Poet, Amanda Gordon.
- The Inaugural Benediction given by Reverend Sylvester Beaman.
- A watercolorist’s journey.
- I love this CZT’s Instagram page.
- Lovely little sketchbook.
I love to look at art journals. For example, I love the blog Sketch Away, by Suhita Shirodkar, in which she records her days. I dream of being outside, pulling out my sketchbook, and drawing what I experience.
But I have no idea how to get started.
I don’t remember how I found out about Draw Your Day: An Inspiring Guide to Keeping a Sketch Journal by Samantha Dion Baker, but I immediately ordered it, and for the last week or so it’s the book I’ve brought with me to read at Greg’s doctor appointments and physical therapy.
It is, of course, illustrated with pages from Dion Baker’s own journals. I love her style.
She tells a little about her own life, and how she first started journaling, and how over time the artwork disappeared from her journals. She missed the drawing, and needed to purposely reinstate it into her life.
I really appreciate her discussion of tools. She explains the numbering system for pencils, which I really never understood before. She recommends certain brands of art supplies, some pricey and some not, and explains the reasons behind her choices.
But most of all, she explains how to make a sketch journal a part of your daily routine. She suggests multiple ways to use one, and leaves it up to you to come up with your best way to adopt the sketchbook habit. I love this book, and I can’t wait to make sketching a daily part of my life.
You can look at Samantha Dion Baker’s artwork on her Instagram page.
Twelve articles to get your creative mojo humming.
- Literal street art.
- Advertising campaign for the 2018-2019 Hong Kong Ballet I especially like the video. How do they hold those poses?
- You’re going to need a hanky for this one. An artist honors his deceased wife.
- Quotes for writers.
- I love this Metropolitan of Art series of artists talking about pieces of art.
- Pretty scrap quilt.
- Have you bought your Christmas cards yet?
- Street photography of Vivian Maier.
- Colorful and surreal paintings.
- Hands down.
- Dance audition.
- In 1979, women in Tehran protested the new hijab requirement.