Eighteen months ago, I posted about a trip I took to the Gilbert Riparian Preserve, hoping to spot a great blue heron. I recently went back to try again.
Last time, I had a severe case of camera envy. I carried my little point-and-shoot camera, while other birders had DSLR jobs with huge telephoto lenses. This time, I brought my Canon EOS Rebel T5 with a big zoom lens, a starter DSLR I’m still learning how to use.
Realize we’re in the Sonoran desert, although I suspect that the saguaro cactuses below were planted by landscapers.
But most of the scenery looks like a forest glade.
The Preserve includes seven small lakes, home to all sorts of aquatic birds, like mallards.
And sandpipers?! I thought sandpipers were ocean beach birds. I guess not necessarily. (Click on the small images to enlarge.)
I think this is a snowy egret:
And I think this might be my great blue heron (or maybe it’s another kind of egret; anybody know?):
Some beautiful, some quirky, all creative:
- Paintings with the look of vintage photographs.
- Vintage photographs taken by a teenaged Stanley Kubrick.
- These beautiful creations remind me of when I took up embroidery as a young wife. I miss those days.
- I always wondered how Chicago came up with the title 25 or 6 to 4.
- Paintings of Max Pechstein.
- I’ve read 12 of these, and I’d like to read more of the books on this book club reading list.
- Twenty-five free and easy quilt patterns.
- I want to win this contest. Only funny people need apply. Am I funny enough?
- Beautiful Christmas quilt—and links to many more original designs.
- The illustrations of Mike Ciccotello.
- That awkward moment at the museum when you see your portrait—and it was painted before you were born…
- Surreal images of synchronized swimmers.
My offering for Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge with the prompt: Letter E – Needs to have two E’s in the topic word.
My offering for the Tuesday Photo Challenge prompt: stones.
Photos by ARHuelsenbeck.
Doing double duty today for Cee’s Flower of the Day. I found this flower near the canal in my neighborhood. I have no idea what it is, but isn’t it pretty?
Beautiful, unusual, entertaining, fun, and creative:
For Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge. Photo by ARHuelsenbeck.
Your latest installment of beauty and creativity, just in time for your weekend enjoyment:
- More beautiful quilts from Utah.
- Fashion photography on location.
- Beautiful murals.
- Gorgeous paintings of animals.
- Lovely zentangles.
- Do you have your own unique sense of style? Maybe. Maybe not.
- What do you look for in a traveling companion?
- Crazy coincidental dressing.
- I’ve read three of these bestselling books of summer, 2017, and found one more I need.
- What would it take to get you to look out your train window?
- Light show.
- Cars and legs.