Every Sunday, the Weekend Writing Warriors share 8-10-sentence snippets from their works-in-progress on their blogs for others to read and comment on. Join the fun! Click on the link to see the full list.
The Unicornologist ~ High school freshman Hillary Noone, on a field trip to The Cloisters, receives a prophecy: she is destined to save the unicorn. Though she shrugs it off as being preposterous, soon life imitates art, and she finds herself in mortal danger.
Some of you Warriors might not be familiar with the Unicorn Tapestries, which were the inspiration for this book. Click here to see a short video about them.
Today’s snippet is the conclusion of last week’s scene. Hillary, who was tied to a tree, freed herself just in time to find Dave and Beth attempting to cut off the unicorn’s horn. Through her intervention, Bob (the unicorn) has escaped.
Eyes full of hatred, the man strained to get up. “You let it escape!” he yelled at the girl.
“You were hurting him!”
“All we want is the horn.”
“You can’t have it,” retorted Hillary.
“Come on, Dave, let’s get out of here,” said the woman.
“I warned you to stay out of our way. Next time you won’t get off so easy,” he threatened Hillary as he limped away.
What, or you’ll kill me? She trembled at the implication of his words.
I know it’s short (the limit is ten sentences), but what do you think of this small excerpt from Chapter 24? Any suggestions on how I can make it better? Please comment below.
For the Color Your World Challenge:
Good stuff here this week. Lots of ideas to make you more creative.
- The perils of being a new photographer (or how to almost get thrown out of a concert by Prince).
- Big Bang Theory star Mayim Bialik has written a new book for girls.
- What’s your superpower?
- Did you know former president George W. Bush is an artist?
- Photos or paintings?
- I love keeping up with this quilt group.
- What can you do with a dead butterfly?
- The illustrations of Pat Achilles.
- Interesting reading list.
- I may already have included this article in a previous Creative Juice, but it bears rereading—it’s that important for your brain.
- Five things you can do now to encourage your creativity.
- Another strategy to improve your creativity.
Found on Etsy. Click on the link below each photograph to see more information.
Butterflies in the stomach.
Lab “vet” studying patient x-ray.
Snake vs. chipmunk. Several different colorations.
What loved one wouldn’t wear these entwined hands? Perfect gift for only $7.95.
What beats inside a cyclist’s chest.
Gummy bear. (Wait a minute. Is this for real?)
Some of these are really gorgeous. I would love the seahorse and the leaves hanging in my house.
What about you–did you see any you like? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
I have some offerings for Norm 2.0’s Thursday Doors challenge:
Photographs © by ARHuelsenbeck.